Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The reason I run

I want to tell you about my newest endeavor. On October 19, 2008, I will participate in the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, all 26.2 miles. This marathon will be the most special for me and my family. Together with your love, support and encouragement, we will cross the finish line together in San Francisco.

Yes, the scenery will be gorgeous, and a little hilly, but that is not the important part. The important part is that I joined Team In Training and committed myself to raising a minimum of $4200 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS). I would love to raise at least $5000 though.

The funds we raise for LLS will go towards finding a cure for the various blood cancers.This is where your help will be greatly appreciated by me and the families that the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society helps. The dollar (or many dollars) you donate could be the dollar that finds a cure or a new treatment. Your tax-deductible donation can make a huge difference

Here's why this cause is so important to my family. My step-grandma Lorraine was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma several years ago. She is a huge trooper and is still with us today. We've watched her go through rounds of treatment for her disease. She spent a recent Thanksgiving in a hospital bed instead of around the dining room table with her family. Although her nurses were quite happy to see us when we showed up with Thanksgiving dessert (yes, including pumpkin pie!) for the entire floor! Holidays with a huge family dinner are some of Lorraine's favorite days. Many memories of mine involve her coming out of the kitchen to greet us prior to a holiday meal, making an entire serving bowl of mashed potatoes for my brother, and making a batch of fudge just for me (although to this day I haven't had the heart to tell her I prefer it without nuts). Lorraine's treatments have left her with severe osteoporosis and glaucoma. But still she looks forward to spending time with my cousins and step-cousins, who range in age from 3 to 13 (and then there are the adult grandkids like me). I don't know where she finds the energy sometimes. And honestly sometimes she doesn't. She has good days and bad days but looks forward to spending time with her family.

Other families should not have to go through what mine and friends of mine (like Jami) have gone through. This is why I joined Team In Training and am raising funds for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Again, here's where you come in. Your tax-deductible donation can make a difference.Please visit my donation page at http://pages.teamintraining.org/dm/nikesf08/jwellborn
Together we can make a difference; one dollar and one mile at a time.

I got this email recently from Lorraine. I'll admit, I got a bit choked up when I read it. OK, I cried a bit.
Dear Jennifer,

Your e-mail has touched me in so many ways. I'd be so proud of you & your running accomplishments regardless of the cause. The fact that you are running in my honor & doing so to help me and others battle cancer makes this much more than an athletic feat. You make me so proud of your strength and commitment that it adds to my own. We will be sending a donation shortly and hopefully, more in the future
Love, GrandmaRaine

She is proud of ME? In my mind, she is the one that we should all be proud of, not the other way around.

(Remember, if you are friends with Jessica Salomon, she also also raising money for LLS with Team In Training. Please share your donation between the two of us. Visit her donation page at http://pages.teamintraining.org/sac/nikesf08/jsalomon)

No comments: